Friday 10 June 2011

Dead Baby Bees. 10 June 2011


Today I was watching my hive and I saw a bee dragging out a baby bee, still living and trying to hang on the entrance of the hive, but then it was flown out and dumped on the grass outside the hive. The baby died shortly after. I also found another body of a baby bee. I thought I might have found wing damage or a mite on the baby, but they looked ok to me, but I guess the bees had an issue.
I am assuming they must have been sick in some way, to have been thrown out. I thought I would get the cameras out so have quick look in the hive to see if there was a problem within.

View from the end entrance, there seems to be plenty of bees, and all looks good.

They don't appear to have created any new comb in the last few weeks, I guess they have been busy filling the comb they have. Kinda hoping to pop the camera in one day to see some capped honey. Everything looks good from the outside the bees are bringing in lots of pollen and look healthy enough, apart from the ditched babies.  I must open them up again this weekend and have a proper look at the brood to see if they
are healthy. 

A few bees were curious about the camera, I changed the focus and got a few close up shots. I didn't realise that they were so fluffy.
 
Pollen shopping bags.


Some view from the middle entrance.  All seems well, and they seem to be happy.  

I will do an inspection at the weekend and have a close up look at the brood comb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment