Sunday 22 May 2011

Spy Camera

Had another play with my Bee Spy Cam today, got a better fitting with the camera.  I used a very technological solution with a stick, a nail and some masking tape.  I shall have to patented it, quick...

Here is some video I shot using this modern method.  This view was obtained from the middle bee access hole.  The bees very kindly accommodated me. Warning the volume can be a bit of a nuisance, what with all the buzzing and the wind. 



Please excuse the quality, it was a windy day and I don't think it helped. 
Here is some better viewing from the outside from my other camera. 


This video is from the entrance hole on the end of the hive, it will be interesting to see how long it takes for the comb on the end to grow and be filled and a new comb to start to grow. 


The bees were not too busy outside the hive today, I think the wind put them off a bit.  Although the ones that did make it out returned fully laden with white, yellow, light orange and a deep orange pollen.  I was reading today that foraging bees don't mix the the pollen in their leg baskets, once they start collecting from one pollen source, they stick to it for the duration of that outing. Where do they go? We have had a look when we are out walking the dog, but I haven't seen a honeybee out and about at all.

Talking of the dog, miraculously, he still hasn't been stung, he goes up to the hive and if a bee comes near his nose, he does have a snap, and luckily he hasn't caught one yet.  Lets hope he learns his lesson on a paw rather than a sting on his airway. You can see how near the chair is that I sit on to view the bees, I am kinda hoping that they get used to me, and we will develop  a mutual tolerance.  Although, the bees that are flying at the moment are bees that came in the package and have been a real contented bunch.  In the next few weeks they will be replaced with the offspring of Queen Kylie, and the temperament of her bees are as yet unknown. 


Just thought I would pop this vid in off Mr B in action. The German Shepherd had no chance, he was in a running mood and prepared to shift into Greyhound mode with some Saluki stamina in the tank for sustenance. 


If anyone has any comments, especially advice from experienced Bee Keepers, I would be glad to receive it.  Thanks for viewing. 




No comments:

Post a Comment