Thursday 19 May 2011

BeeCam Tryout



A wireless pinhole camera designed for bird boxes arrived today. Had a bit of an experiment at whether or not it was worth fitting or not. Here is a still I snapped from the short video I took using a 9v battery to power it.  Next mission is to hook it up to the mains and fit it more securely.  You are not standing on your head, the text is upside down, as was the camera while I was holding it to an entrance to check out the view.  Lesson learned!  


I will have a few more experiments over the weekend to suss out the best position for best viewing. The aim being is that I can watch the bees as much as I want without the curiosity killing the brood by opening the hive up too often.  I do love to watch them and they are very good tempered bees, I am concerned that the more I open them, they will grow to get testy when we are around, as opposed to the pleasant ignoring we are currently getting used to.

I am hoping to have live webcam feed running, probably not 24/7 but I will post the link on here when I have rigged it up.  The power source is the main thing to overcome, without leaving a door or window open, I can't get a lead to the hive from the house.




1 comment:

  1. I bet your bee webcam is more exciting than Big Brother.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete