Tuesday 28 May 2013

NEW BEES!

Unfortunately my bees didn't make it through the winter, with our damp summer, the move and a wasp attack, they just were not strong enough to make it through.  But....today i picked up a a nucleus of bees.

It was last minute as someone on the list above me had dropped out, so I was totally unprepared and in the small hatchback.  Too large to sit the right way in the boot so they were strapped in on the back seat.  The noise they were making, it sounded like they could take off with the box.  

There were a couple of stragglers outside the box, but luckily they were uninterested in me as I drove very carefully! 
 

 I dragged No 1 daughter into helping me.  Suit up!

 Nucleus was placed next to the hive I intend to put them in and I took off the tape and removed the foam releasing the bees.




They burst out of the exit, their frustration at being blocked in quite evident.  The first job they did was to remove a few dead bees, probably natural wastage after being stuck in the box. 




Crusty making friends. 








I thought I would get them a takeaway to help them settle in.  A couple of the girls had a look, but I think they were still too stressed to consider pollen collection.



A bit overdressed for chickens, but while we were out there, a bit of 'chuck chuck chuck' is always welcomed. 


 Hopefully the bees will have a good night and weather permitting, I will put them in their new hive in the next couple of days.


No comments:

Post a Comment